1. What Vibose® is and what it is used for?
Vibose® is the preparation of voglibose. Voglibose acts by inhibition of alpha- glucosidase, an enzyme responsible to breakdown carbohydrate and facilitate the absorption of monosaccharide, i.e. glucose, fructose. Thus, voglibose delays the absorption as well as digestion of dietary carbohydrates. Voglibose is indicated for improvement of postprandial hyperglycemia in diabetes mellitus only when diet and/or exercise or oral hyperglycemic drug or Insulin preparation in addition to diet and/or exercise does not result in adequate glycemic (Glycemic) control. The drug is taken just before meals to prevent the postprandial hyperglycemia seen in diabetics. This type of agent can be considered a drug of first choice in overweight diabetic patients
2. How to take this medicine?
The medicine should be taken orally in dose of 0.2 or 0.3 g, three times daily, just before meals.
3.Who should NOT take this medication?
Voglibose is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to the drug or to any of its components.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Inflammatory bowel diease, colonic ulcerations or partial intestinal obstructions and patients being predisposed to intestinal obstruction.
- Pregnant women.
4. What side effects are possible with this medication?
Voglibose often causes dose-related gastrointestinal side effects such as flatulence, abdominal distension, diarrhoea, pain and hypoglycemia. A decrease in dosage and improved dietary habits may reduce these adverse effects. Hepatocellular liver damage, with jaundice and elevated serum aminotransferases may occur. Episodes of paralytic ileus in elderly diabetic patients have been reported. Intolerable dizziness with nausea and vomiting has occurred in elderly DM patients on start of therapy with Voglibose.
5. How to store Vibose®?
Vibose® must be kept out of the reach and sight of children. Protect from light. Store below 30°C.
6. How supplied and storage condition of Vibose®?
- Vibose 0.2 Tablet: Box containing 30 tablets in 3X10’s blister strips. Each tablet contains voglibose INN 0.2 mg.
- Vibose 0.3 Tablet: Box containing 30 tablets in 3X10’s blister strips. Each tablet contains voglibose INN 0.3 mg.
- Vibose® must be kept out of the reach and sight of children. Protect from light. Store below 30°C.